Information technology or IT consulting services are crucial to improving your business’s performance, scalability, and competitiveness. Yet, while many organizations comprehend the enormous role IT plays in the world, fewer understand how IT services, including outsourcing their company’s computer support, can make managing their IT systems more straightforward and save them money.
For over 30 years, CEG has provided the tools and support businesses need to stay on top of an ever-changing information technology environment. In this article, we explore why IT is so essential and how IT companies like CEG can help you use it to foster innovation and growth.
What is Information Technology?
Most often referred to as “IT,” information technology is an umbrella term that covers software, hardware, information systems, and the internet. It plays a key role in storing, retrieving, accessing, sharing, and manipulating data, and does everything from helping people complete work and personal tasks to providing them with entertainment. An indispensable part of modern life, IT also helps us develop better thinking and decision-making skills.
Information technology and related services extend to:
- Deploying and maintaining business applications, services, and infrastructure, including servers, networks, and storage.
- Monitoring, optimizing, and troubleshooting application services and infrastructure performance.
- Overseeing the security and governance of applications, services, and infrastructure.
IT responsibilities include administration, support, and compliance. As a majority of businesses now use computers, software, and other technologies in all aspects of their operations, IT support teams have become ever more important to a company’s success.
Why is Information Technology Important?
A well-functioning IT department is vital to a business’s productivity and organization. Companies, educational facilities, the finance sector, the hospitability industry, and healthcare organizations are just a few of the industries that rely on information technology to, among other things:
- Make quality, relevant information more accessible.
- Enhance learning and training.
- Automate repetitive tasks.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Improve strategic business planning.
- Monitor systems and facilities in real time.
- Enable faster data storage.
IT-related job functions include data science, system analysis, software development, network administration, and tech support. Business practices IT supports range from product development and design to marketing research, sales, and customer support and retention.
Examples of information technology support include:
- Network architecture. Designing a computer network involves physical components, operational procedures, and communication processes. IT professionals use software and specialized programs to track protocols and ensure optimal functionality.
- Database administration. IT tools like database management software are used to organize and aggregate data from different sources, and it’s critical that sensitive data like client and customer personal and financial information are secure.
- Information security. Cyberattacks are up 80% in the U.S., and 40% of cyberattack victims incur costs of $25,000 or more. That makes information security more vital than ever for every business, industry, and sector. Information security experts protect networks from data breaches and cyberattacks and monitor systems for potential vulnerabilities.
From a competitive point of view, the most critical function of IT is data analytics, a complex process that examines big data to find hidden patterns, correlations, market trends, and customer preferences to help organizations make informed business decisions. Benefits include everything from more effective marketing to new revenue opportunities, personalization, and improved operational efficiency.
Many businesses, particularly SMBs, lack the resources to build and maintain an in-house IT support team. For them, working with an IT services company can make the difference between limited and unlimited growth and success.
IT Services vs. IT Consulting
Though the terms are often used interchangeably, there are distinct differences between IT services and IT consulting.
IT consulting is advisory in nature and helps organizations assess various options for aligning their technology and business strategies. These services support a company’s IT initiatives by providing strategic, architectural, operational, and implementation planning that helps them assess IT needs and operating efficiency, formulate system implementation plans, and test new products and services.
IT services help business organizations create and improve the management and optimization of business processes. They vary from business to business, with some focusing solely on improving and optimizing access to information. Others might range from removing old or installing new equipment to troubleshooting existing systems.
The easiest way to understand these distinctions is by looking at the deliverables. IT services provide a tangible end-to-end product to clients, such as a website or new IT infrastructure solution. An IT service company uses its extensive toolbox to deliver services that end up in deliverables that your business, employees, and customers can use and experience.
IT consulting deliverables, on the other hand, come in the form of professional advice that guides you identifying the best IT solutions for your business. IT consultants who also provide IT services are best equipped to help you turn your tech ideas into actions.
IT Support Services From CEG
Business use of IT is more important than ever. Whether you’re a solo entrepreneur, small business, or large corporation, IT keeps your business running.
A good IT support team ensures your organization’s IT strategy is a successful one. It helps increase productivity, enables you to manage data more effectively, and protects your business against security threats. If you want to take advantage of all the benefits an up-to-date IT department offers but lack the internal resources to make it happen, outsourcing some or all of your IT services makes a lot of sense.
Unlike some other IT companies, CEG provides a multi-pronged approach that helps businesses thrive. Our services include:
- Designated network architects (DNAs)
- IT consulting and management
- Project management
- Business continuity
- Network engineering
- Helpdesk and other onsite support
- Staff augmentation
- Cloud services that provide optimal backup protection and flexible storage
IT support solutions from CEG are designed to help you drive your business forward and ensure you get the full benefit of outsourcing your information technology needs. We’re committed to providing high-quality IT services and finding best-value solutions for all our clients’ requirements.
Contact CEG online or call us at 833-234-9701 to learn more about information technology and all the IT services and solutions we offer.